Whenever I used to hear that a research paper was going to
be assigned, my initial reaction was to get filled with dread, anxiety and
slight nausea, haha. Research papers in the past have been a source of
frustration; I just wanted to write without having to worry about finding scholarly
sources or about citing everything in a right format. I was never officially/thoroughly
taught how to find proper sources or how to confirm that a piece of writing was
reliable, therefore I used a lot of guesswork and ended up just hoping my paper
qualified as a true “research” paper.
This research paper and the subsequent activities in class
that taught what real research papers consist of has really changed my
perspective on these types of writing assignments. Learning about ways to find articles,
journals and books via online sources that relate to the relevant topic was
extremely helpful. While I was shown in the past how to do so, this was the
first instance I took the time to figure the online library system all out; it
was much easier than I thought it would be and this greatly reduced my anxiety
about writing my whole paper. In fact, I was able to find awesome sources that
covered exactly what I wanted to highlight. Giving the whole research part of
writing a paper a more patient and fair chance was certainly my biggest triumph
for this assignment.
Still, finding so many excellent sources also presented the
challenge of figuring out a way to integrate them neatly and concisely in my
paper. I ended up finding about four solid sources and using three of them for
my rough draft. There were many quotes that I wanted to use, but I realized
after going over an early draft that my paper was becoming far too packed with
words that weren't mine, haha. I had to go over all the quotes I picked and
choose the ones that were most relevant/conducive to my paper topic. Overall,
this was a bit tiresome and frustrating, yet I've come to realize that a few
really good quotes are better for a paper than an abundance of them. Too many
quotes and citations within a paper can be distracting sometimes; my early
rough draft, in retrospect, was definitely too crammed with quotes and my own
voice was somewhat lost.
In conclusion, this research paper assignment gave me the
patience and skills to do proper research. I also (re)learned how to do comprehensive
and effective research that yields sources that end up being very beneficial
for the paper. Like I wrote earlier, I always dreaded research papers because I
was so used to writing papers about just one book or writing opinion papers
with a few online sources. This assignment has shown me that research papers
don’t have to make me nauseous, haha; they simply require a bit more time for
research and integrating the sources within the paper itself. This little extra
work pays off with a well-rounded paper supplemented with stellar quotes. I’m
glad I've given research a second shot, haha.
Hi Amy! I was also a little apprehensive when we were given this assignment. It had been quite a while (since high school) that I had written a formal research paper. I liked that we went over the process in class in order to refresh our memories. I also agree that all of the extra work that goes into researching and incorporating the sources into the paper is totally worth it in the end! I'm always so happy when I finish writing a research paper! (Especially this time with it being the last one of the semester!)
ReplyDelete