Monday, April 6, 2015

Movie Reaction Post

Throughout history, one can observe how those with mental disabilities and illnesses have often been ostracized, abused and wrongfully treated. There have always been stigmas against those who suffer from mental struggles and these prejudices have unfortunately led to the slow development of proper treatments/resources for these individuals.

Luckily, the United States and other developed nations have made a fair amount of progress over the 20th century in their programs and availability of care for those who are mentally impaired. Specifically, I believe there are a good amount of resources (at least compared to past decades) for individuals who have Down Syndrome.

While I don’t have extensive knowledge on the exact resources for people with Down Syndrome, I have seen through my schools and personal experiences some of the aspects of the care that is available. For example, at my elementary school, we had a section of the school that was specifically managed and established for those with mental disabilities, such as Down Syndrome. Children were given individual care and attention, as well as special supervision by certified teachers and assistants. I have also seen many programs and fundraisers being run in my area, such as the Special Olympics, which provide opportunities and support for those with mental disabilities.

However, as I have never personally inquired into the quality of these services by those who use them, or have asked if they’re satisfied with what they’re receiving, I don’t feel I can paint a fair picture of the services available to those with Down Syndrome, or any other mental disability. Yet, I do have a firm belief in the types and quality of treatments, services and resources that should be available to those in need.

As the movie Monica and David portrayed, I think learning programs specifically geared towards the needs and abilities of those with Down Syndrome is key. Not only will his aid them in reaching their full potential and learning capabilities, it will also provide an environment in which they can make friends and built social and personal confidences and skills. Also, these learning environments should be in conjunction with various activities for those with the disabilities, such as field trips, or perhaps jobs and volunteering positions in the local community. Overall, I believe it is vital to focus less on the person’s mental disability and more on them as an overall person; the teachers and other supporters in these environments should continually strive to make the individuals’ feel comfortable and to give them a sense of “belonging” that often society fails to provide to those with mental struggles.


Obviously, my beliefs/desires for what should be available to every person who suffers from Down Syndrome, or any mental disability/ illness, are not always carried out for a variety of reasons. Whether it is someone’s socioeconomic status or even simply their geographic location, optimal care for mental disabilities is often unobtainable for many families and individuals. While this problem has always existed and it still continues today, I truly believe, with today’s technology and advances, that the care available to the mentally disabled has a high potential to improve. Realistically, this progress will not happen quickly, but the issue of mental health care is an important topic for many people. Therefore, I think if enough people/organizations work together, there will be plenty of support and movement towards providing the most optimal care possible to those with mental disabilities.

4 comments:

  1. I definately agree with you about being able to asses the quality of the programs offered to people with disabilities. Too often do I hear stories about programs for the disabled having major abuses happening behind closed doors. The sense of belonging is another point that I agree with. Focus less on their inability and more on their alternative abilities like clicking for blind people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment Michelle; I'm glad you understand where I'm coming from! The stories of abuse are so tragic, I'm hoping that with the improvement of care,abuse towards those with disabilities can be eradicated.
      Exactly, focusing on alternatives is key to helping individuals reach their full potential and aiding them to feel more comfortable with themselves.

      Delete
  2. oh my goodness! I just wrote a whole comment and it got deleted! Grrrrr. now I have to rewrite it. ok. ill rewrite it. darn.
    Anyway, yes Amy I agree that in the beginning I was anxious too when I found out we had to do research and find reliable sources. I used to just hope that my sources were reliable for previous papers and that kind of worked. Now that I actually know how to conduct research, I am happy with myself and my accomplishment in this paper. I think the library sources helped me too a lot, they did say exactly what I needed them to say as well. It is crazy how much I was missing by not knowing how to use those sources. I am happy to say that this is our last paper of the semester, and I think we all benefited from learning how to do actual research for a research paper! Have a great end of semester Amy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw man, sorry your original comment got deleted; thank you for taking the time to rewrite it!!
      I know, I'm glad I know how to do actual research now too, haha. This paper felt super good to complete since it's probably one of my most researched (and correctly researched, haha) papers ever. I'm so glad I learned all this in this semester so I can use my resource/researching skills for the rest of my classes.
      Hope you have a great end of the spring semester as well and thank you for commenting :)!!

      Delete