Tuesday, January 27, 2015

My Interview with Fadia Namous

For our interview project, I had the extreme pleasure of interviewing Fadia Namous. Fadia, an 18 year old fellow freshman here at Cedar Crest, is an amazingly intelligent, compassionate and complex girl whose interests and pursuits reflect her unique character.

Fadia is currently studying to become a pediatrician. Her desire to become a pediatrician stems from her wish to have a stable job and from her love of children. Fadia comes from a large family which includes two younger brothers. I believe Fadia will be a great pediatrician based on how active and caring she is in her siblings lives. Fadia explained how she reads books with her younger brothers and I could tell that family is an important source of joy in her life. Making her family and others laugh and be happy is a significant part of what makes Fadia truly content.

A large part of Fadia’s identity stems from her family’s background. Both her mother and father emigrated from Syria, making Fadia a 1st generation immigrant. Listening to Fadia talk about Syria and Arabic culture was very compelling. We discussed the current revolution in Syria and how it has personally affected her life, as she has family still living in Syria and has tragically lost family members in the conflict. Fadia supports the revolution and is hopeful of its future success so that those who have died for the cause would not have died in vain. Syria has a distinct place in Fadia’s heart and she hopes to eventually move to the city of Madaya as an adult if the situation in the country improves.

Fadia’s passion for Arabic culture is captured in her interests, such as the Arabic language (both the written and spoken word) which she practices in her free time and Arabic music and traditional dance. She strongly relates to Arabic culture; it is a part of her that she is determined not to lose. Fadia also enjoys books and movies which take place within Arabic nations and cultures, such as the books The Kite Runner, A Thousand Splendid Suns and the movie Miral. Similarly, Islam plays a central role in Fadia’s life as she considers the Prophet Mohammad to be a special role model and she finds much joy in reading the Quran.

While Arabic culture is a significant part of Fadia’s character and interests, she certainly has many other spectrums which are very important to her and bring happiness into her life. When asked what activities make her most happy, Fadia replied that she enjoys cooking, sewing (especially finishing a sewing project) and hanging out with her older brother. Fadia also expressed how passionate she is about making her parents proud and the power of education. She elaborated on her beliefs that education is the key to empowerment and freedom. Fadia is a beautifully deep thinker; while she may have a quiet and shy disposition, her mind is full of powerful thoughts that become clearly expressed when she begins to talk to you.


While I know I could never paint a full picture of her personality using words, I hope this interview summary expresses what an awesome and interesting girl Fadia Namous is. With her aspirations, compassion and drive, Fadia certainly has a bright future ahead of her.

3 comments:

  1. Fadia,
    I knew that you were interested in the medical field but never knew you wanted to be a pediatrician! That is wonderful and truly amazing.
    That is wonderful how you still keep your family's culture close to your heart. I admire you and your family for that. I don't think that is practiced enough in some families.
    Amy included that you would like to travel back to Madaya when situations become stable enough which I personally think is wonderful. I myself would love to live in different parts of the world so I can have the experience. I was just wonderful if you have ever looked into the program, "Doctors Without Borders"? I am not too sure if you were interested in that type of situation. The only reason I ask is because I have an aunt would works within the program and I personally am looking into the program myself.

    Amy, you did a fantastic good writing about Fadia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jackie. It makes me happy to know that people understand my attachment to my culture and my resistance to completely assimilating into the american culture. I remember I had a friend in high school who kept trying to change me and say my culture was wrong. But she soon understood that American culture is simply different, and that doesn't mean any other culture is wrong. I have looked into the Doctors Without Borders! It is so interesting and some day I do hope I get that opportunity to participate in this program.

      Delete
  2. I think it's really important to hold onto cultures; they enrich life and give people such wider perspectives on the world.The world would be so dull and lifeless without culture.
    Doctors Without Borders is such an interesting program; I bet it would be so exciting to work for!

    And thank you Jackie!

    ReplyDelete