The main steps I took to write my
first Writing 100 paper gravitated away from my usual writing process. To start
off, I carefully went over the two articles that I used in the paper and took
notes about what specific portions I wanted to quote. In the past, I honestly wouldn't go over my source material more than once or twice but now I’m
beginning to see the importance in reviewing the material so you know what you’re
actually talking about, haha. The other major change from my typical writing
steps was the revision period after Eileen and my peers reviewed the paper. All
throughout high school, I never took an “official” writing class so having this
focus on the actual content, grammar, citation, etc. of my paper is a new
experience. Going back through the paper and editing based on the advice and
revisions I received was satisfying; I felt like, after handing in my paper, it
was much more well-rounded.
Man, I
have a love/hate relationship with writing papers, haha. There are always
negative thoughts when I’m in the writing process. I mostly worry about my
paper not truly reflecting my thoughts; I get anxious that it will be a mess
and not convey the ideas I have in my head. I love writing, I really do. I love
being able to express myself in written words, especially since talking and
presenting myself in front of people often mixes up my words and meanings
unintentionally. I’m working on becoming a more articulate and confident
speaker, but writing as always been where I turn to genuinely and assertively
say what I want to say. So a large part of writing this paper was overcoming
the worry that it wouldn't reflect me or what I want to say.
![]() |
| Photo/Gif Credit |
To push
through this self-doubt, I had to tell myself to calm down. I had to stop
myself from wanting to go in and write the “perfect” paper that would blow everyone’s
minds, haha. Like I said earlier, I have a love/hate relationship with writing.
On one hand, I love writing for the release of ideas and thoughts it
allows. On the other, I sometimes hate writing because it’s stressful to
organize all of your information and concepts while putting pressure on
yourself to make the paper totally super awesome. While writing this paper, I
had to find a balance between writing a good paper, while telling myself that
writing is a continual work of improvement. In other words, I couldn’t let
myself get hung up on the mistakes that I would make because this whole class
is about becoming a better writer; I had to take the pressure off and simply
write the best paper I could.
![]() |
| Photo/Gif Credit |
Overall,
I’m really excited by the writing techniques and skills I’m learning in this
class. As I said earlier, I’ve never had a writing course before so I’ll be
gaining an abundance of new ways to improve my writing. Sometimes I can be a
bit stubborn about wanting to stay in my old writing methods and ways, but if
there’s anything I’ve learned at college so far, it’s that change is often good
and necessary. While I do get frustrated with writing sometimes, it will always
be a passion of mine; any improvements I can make to better convey my inner
ideas and thoughts will always be something I want to learn.


I can understand that love/hate relationship with writing. It's fun writing, but at the same time it can get so frustrating! Telling yourself to just write and not expect a perfect paper the first time is such an important step to take. So many people feel that if they can't write a good paper the first time, they'll never write a good paper. All writers have to rewrite and edit their papers. I bet that the paper you did write is great. You have such a great perspective to write about. Also, side note I love the spongebob gifs. I feel that on an emotional level.
ReplyDeleteExactly, so many people put pressure on themselves to be perfect writers but we all just have to relax and realize every paper ever written was changed/edited...the changes are often what make papers great anywho!
DeleteAw, thanks Michelle; I have confidence that your paper is epic as well.
And hahahaha thank you; I was really hoping someone would appreciate them ;).